Tuesday 15 November 2016

Love Your Little Home; make your own reclaimed mirrors.


In our house if we are not planning or making something we are often at quite a loose end. Rob and I would happily say that our heads are filled with ideas constantly and often not just for us. I constantly redesign my parents' house much to my mothers joy and my fathers despair, but it is honestly what I love thinking about. Fashion and homes are my passions and I very much work with them in my life and love to form plans and see how they develop. 
One thing that I have mentioned before and especially in the 'Love Your Little Home' posts is about how much we use mirrors. I knew from the very beginning that having a small house meant that you needed to create light in how you decorate. We have always had white walls, that is truly the only way to lift a room and make it brighter and if you can add mirrors, then do as they reflect light. Adding a mirror to a room makes a huge difference. whether it is an over mantle mirror of more scattered decorative ones they seriously make a big difference.


When we first extended the house I salvaged some old sash windows. I knew I was eventually going to change them into mirrors but at the time of getting them and having put all our money into building it was an expense that didn't need to happen, so I just hung the frames empty and they still looked really nice. 
Fast forward three years and I asked Rob to put mirrors in the frames for my birthday and like a good husband he did and what he has been able to create is just wonderful. Having these huge mirrors hung as art like pieces on the walls really creates beautiful light and reflection around our large living area. and since having a fire installed, which is obviously a dark piece, it has really balanced out the industrial and the pretty features of the home.


The only part we didn't make in this little project was the original frames. Like I said, these were reclaimed so they were in original condition, still with bits of glass and old putty in them. That was the first thing that needed to be done, removing all original glass fixtures to start back with a clean area. Luckily each wooden frame was in good, but old condition. The wood wasn't rotting and we had kept them dry so it was an easy case of a clean up and replacement. We got our mirror from a local glass manufactures Allenby Glass and they cut each pane to size which meant all we had to do was fit it. If you aren't confident in fitting though then I think they would do it for you.
However with the all knowledgeable and confident Roberto he just did some research and knew what to do.
For our case it was simple fitting the panes and siliconing them into place. As the frame was relatively basic it was simple fitting and that is really why we didn't want to pay someone else to do it as we knew we could do it ourselves. But for us it was that simple. A really good thick bead of silicone around the edge of each individual pane stuck it in place quite solidly. 
After letting it set thoroughly we then hung them back on the wall and have had to do nothing to them ever since. They are obviously heavy pieces so ours are fitted properly via screws into the wall, you could not hang this on a wire, it would be too dangerous.





The final look in the house is really amazing. It very much changes our vast white walls and gives us focal points but ones that just create light and make everything look grander. Using mirrors at home honestly gives the illusion of more space, taller ceilings and more light and it is the best way to update a simple space with a very neutral, non-fussy piece.


Emily
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig