Tuesday 28 February 2023

My Own Spring Watch


I was thinking that this January and February have been one of the nicest weather months. We have had such a dry spell here in Lincoln, with frosty crisp mornings and golden glowing evenings. I have really  enjoyed walking, even in the damp as there has been so much to see.



Maybe I forget each year but this January seemed to be showing signs of spring more than ever. I always think of January as quite dark but this January has been intensely bright, or maybe I just noticed it being bright because I was quite desperate to see the good in it rather than write it off like so many do. February has been much the same, each morning and evening giving that little bit more light. Being able to do the kids club drop offs with light skies gives the most amazing feeling. It makes the routine feel less of a drag. 



I haven’t spent much time in the garden yet (gardening wise) but have felt so inspired to get in there and clean it up the last few days as I see green buds starting to appear on plants. I even found a discarded pot of bulbs (I think from last year) which had bright green shoots popping up though the dirt even though it had had no care at all. 

I was reminded that everything can get a chance to re-grow, even when completely unsupported. The inner strength of the narcissus bulb to have sat in a plastic tub, without being intentionally watered for a year, left in the cold dark dark corner, still came through to reunite with its partner spring. How we can use such poetry in our own lives!



On my walks there is still the winter bareness of the bigger world. I know though at any moment it will just pop, like the Snowdrops do, and change our environments to be more luscious and green. The daffodils are just starting to bloom, the early risers that get sunny spots are already open but I know within a week the country lanes will be lined with the bright yellow trumpets ready to greet the passers-by.



I always think another real sign of spring is the murmuration of the Starling. If you have been lucky enough to see the thousands of tiny birds take to the sky and fly as one cloud you will know that it is one of the most amazing sights in nature. Last week on our way back from hair cuts at about 5.45pm we were driving past the industrial retail park in town, the sky was pink and the birds were out in full performance mode. It was amazing. Just last night, while Raph was out dancing, I made sure to drive back to the same area (it's on route) and park up and wait for the show. I was not disappointed.  Seeing all the tiny birds grow in their small groups to one colossal group is just incredible. The sun was setting, it was a February pink sky, and it was just perfect!



As always, I spend my life looking to nature for peace. For the moments when my head is most fuzzy it seems to be the best medicine. All these simple signs to life are out there, a reminder of the beauty of our world. 


Emily xx

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. These last few blog posts have been so beautifully reflective and poetic ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig