Wednesday 22 February 2023

Giving Up Instagram For Lent.

Yep, you read that right. Here I am sat typing away having decided that for the next 40 days I will not be opening the Instagram app. 


It happened a few weeks ago. Rob and I were discussing what we would be "fasting" for Lent as it was fast approaching and we hadn't given it much thought. Lent, in the Christian faith, is the preparation time before Easter that allows us to follow in the footsteps of Jesus as he begins his journey towards his death. Lent has always been practised in our Catholic home. As a child we would give up Chocolate and sweets every year which, as a child, seemed impossibly hard to do. As I grew up, it actually became inevitably routine; a period of six weeks that we kept the lid on the sweetie box for. As an older teen I started to add in other "challenges" or rather ''fasts'' that I felt I would genuinely miss as that is the point; for there to be a struggle in not having. To understand better the idea of giving something up to create the opportunity for more spiritual reflection. Bread, cheese, cakes, tea, crisps have all had their time over the years. I think bread and tea were by far the hardest and most welcomed after the 40 days! 

The church asks a few things of us during the period of lent. It isn't just about giving something up, in fact you don't even need to, but it is about making a change. Using the period of Lent to change something in your life that allows you to be more open to the grace of God. To maybe hear a message you didn't before or to maybe learn something that wasn't truly understood. Lent is not a period of solemness, even though the idea of giving up may seem like a punishment, it is the joy in understanding we are on THE journey. The journey that is life, and if you choose it to be, the journey where you walk beside God.

Instagram and I have had a funny relationship for years. I spent the first half of my "career" on instagram earning money from it. Money that rivalled an actual job. Money that meant I could pursue a wonderfully creative job and literally work whenever I wanted. It also opened up opportunities that I will never forget and experiences that I am so thankful for. But the last 3-4 years Instagram became a place purely for expressing my creativity. The work changed and even though I could seek it, it became tiring and incredibly competitive. This came hand in hand with actually finding a job working for someone in a part time capacity which made life a little more exciting again and resulted in me being able to be even more creative away from the Instagram screen. However, I would always say that I enjoyed Instagram and the opportunity it opened up for me as a space to create and connect. 

The last few years after covid I felt so in my swing of sharing and helping. Bringing positivity and energy that was just calm and nice. I was happy in that space. The only thing I think has changed is that nowadays maybe I don't say enough. I got quieter. I got more self conscious. I got worried about, well, everything. And like anything, that begins to reflect in your work.
I started 2023 with a different energy. One which pretty much said, "this is me". I walk, I make something every so often, I like a hot drink, I still always love sharing outfits, and where it fits, I love sharing experiences especially ones about Lincoln, where we live. I have always enjoyed sharing them and actually creatively making the content. I love that! I love seeing things and being able to capture them in a really simple way. I have never had too many bells or whistles. A camera, a phone, an app where I edit light or tone. I don't use photoshop and never spent much time on learning to removed the unwanted parts of a photo. I just always shot where I liked the whole image. I don't call myself a photographer for that reason. I am a content creator. I create. 

Rob suggested the idea about giving up Instagram. I sit on my phone a fair amount. Somedays I don't open the app until we chill on an evening, somedays I can be on it making and publishing content or stories (which I love) which seems to leave that app open nearly all day. I got into the restless habit of zoning out just to watch random videos and it had more recently become a comforter in my sleepless nights. Apart from it being a wonderful creative outlet for myself, it was beginning to be used as a complete distraction. I didn't agree to idea straight away but I have to say, up until yesterday when I started posting my Goodbye, I didn't know if I was going to make the commitment. The moment I hit publish on a reel I made though, I had this wave of relief. Almost like a tie was cut and I weirdly felt full of inspiration for the next 6 weeks. And my followers, well, I couldn't have anticipated the support and cheerleading ethos I got.  
I haven't got any practices put in place of things to do instead of Instagram. I suppose I am just saying it's not here anymore and I am open and listening to whatever I need to hear. I can use my time more wisely, I can live without its distraction; I can just be still.

Lent. The time where Emily decides to offer up space in her head. That is pretty much it. Let's see what happens.

Emily xx
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Great stuff! How do we subscribe to your blog?

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig