Sunday 5 February 2023

HOME // Whats New Round Here?




The ever changing home. It's a thing right? If your are on social media and especially Instagram it is easy to get swept up with the idea that EVERYBODY is constantly doing grand renovations on their homes. 

It's hard to not get trapped in the idea that you are behind everyone else and blur the lines between real life and fiction. People are all working on their homes but that's after years of work behind the screen that is Instagram. I have to remind myself of the choices that we as a family have made. My choices are completely different to yours, that's exactly how it should be, and that means my pace is also completely different. It is hard to watch "everyone around you" achieve these amazing home goals but you need to remember that it's not everyone, it's just others, who have worked for it and their time came now.

I love the phrase "Keeping up with the Jones'". It references that we want to be doing, or achieving the same thing as the "the Jonses" a fictional couple next door who just have it all! I have to stop myself competing. It doesn't get me anywhere, in fact the comparison actually slows me down. Near the end of last year I really was feeling the lack of what we had. I had forgotten months, no years of hard work I have done to be in a place of complete satisfaction with our home, and it threw me. Everywhere I looked someone had it bigger, or better than us. And we work hard. Rob works especially hard and I started to think that our lifestyle had become careless and that we should be saving way more, scrimping every penny so that we could plow it all into some bigger dream. Then I had to ask myself, What is the dream? 

Silence.

A bigger house? Maybe. Do I want more rooms to clean? Maybe not!

I think the realisation is that it isn't always MORE. Sometimes it is just inspiration for change. 

Realising that our life we have; our home is the key for us. Our way of living evolves around our space, our centre and that changes when it needs to but otherwise it is a constant source of perfection for our life. It is enough. It is what we need. 

A change though, that would be nice. Yep sure, actually if you have followed me for a while you will know a change is good for me. Redecoration, fresh accessories, new themes, all are much smaller changes but ones that come from a place of wholeness, not a place of want and desire to "keep up".

I wanted to share a post just about how the house has changed, but it hasn't and that is also worth sharing. Our house is the same as it has been for the last few years, since we did a major plastering project and bedroom change for the kids. Pictures have changed, what sits on the shelf has changed but that is all really and as I look around, I am OK with that. I like to inject something new where I can but at the moment that is a vase or a painting or a fresh bunch of flowers. 

  






SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I am most inspired to see how people live in their homes, rather than the newness. Yours is a beauty and I love seeing pictures of it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said . Bigger houses don’t necessarily bring you happiness. I know several friends who are constantly going after bigger , better , what’s new but when you talk to them their not happy or satisfied . I’d like to think at the end my family & friends think about me & my love for them . How I welcomed them into my home to share time with them . I don’t want to be remembered for “ she had an amazing house /kitchen “ That would be sad . Your lovely family is doing great & you do have a beautiful, stylish home xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes!

    I have to agree with this. As someone that lives in rented accommodation it can be hard to see others making homes their own. But I am reminded I am thankful with have a warm, safe space to be.

    I most certainly would like to move. But for the practical element, not to carry a 14 year old upstairs anymore.

    What I love about your home always is it feels like your beautiful home. You always look at peace there. Not caring about other peoples style. It’s inspiring.

    Enjoy your beautiful space

    Kara xx

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig