Wednesday 18 February 2015

Ash Wednesday

Ash Wednesday


Today as Catholics we mark the beginning of our journey to Easter. This begins the period of Lent and on a day like today, it brings the feeling of freshness and new starts as we also enter into spring.
At our church we all have had crosses put on our foreheads from ash. As a youngster, I couldn't wait to wipe it off feeling embarrassed of my beliefs and the 'weird' traditions the Catholic church teaches. Now I recognise the importance of the sign and how this guides us into a journey of faith.
Lent is a period where traditionally you would practise fasting, almsgiving and penance. It is a time when people think you just give up something for the sake of it or it is deemed quite negative but it isn't. It is a time to better ourselves and grow spiritually.


Traditionally my family has always given up chocolate and sweets. I mean, for years we have done this so it is something that is not too difficult anymore. Obviously you have cravings but I like to test myself and really strive to be better. I am also giving up bread this year. This is a challenge. Even tonight I gave the kids some bread and butter with their fish fingers and I was almost dying; on day one as well. This one is going to be hard!
I like the challenge of lent and I love the opportunity to have this long period before Easter to prepare and to really appreciate what good I have in this life.
As spring begins to bloom I am going to be following its path and try to bloom into a better person.


(Raph got off lightly with his mark!!!)

Post by Emily
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I just couldn't depart your website prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard information a person provide for your visitors? Is going to be back often to check up on new posts
    design water bottles

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig