Saturday 12 October 2019

TRAVEL // The Lake District {A Holiday with my Family}

A Photo Album Of Our Time In The Lake District 



It’s not like us to go away in half term. We often spend a week recuperating from the six weeks prior and avoiding any journeys because I’m quite frankly sick of driving. However this year's February half term, my parents treated Rob and I to 4 days away in the Lake District. My mum gave Rob this present for his birthday a couple of years ago and it has taken us until now to actually get there but I’m really glad we actually set a date and made an excuse to go.



Our Time in The Lake District

I haven’t been to the Lake District in years, in fact the last holiday we went on when I was a teenager we were camping and I can honestly say it was the worst holiday I’ve ever had. It was October half term, it was cold and very rainy and my mum fell and twisted her ankle so badly she needed to be in a wheelchair. This changed everything. In reality my parents should’ve just said we were going home because it probably would’ve been easier even though we would’ve all been disappointed but we stayed and had a thoroughly cold and miserable time. We were with some friends which did help and we went off rock climbing and tried to entertain ourselves with activities but still with my mum in a wheelchair in a lot of pain it made life very difficult and with 8 children who all wanted entertaining and feeding and keeping warm I’m sure she struggled the most out of all of us. As teenagers we were good at complaining, and to this day I still remember this as the worst holiday I’ve ever been on. I didn’t even mention yet that we were camping and that is why we all became so cold and miserable; something I will never do again in October!
Anyway, my last experience of the Lake District wasn’t as good as I would’ve liked to have been and, to be honest, I know it’s a beautiful place but I’ve just never really been up there since. It is about a three hour drive which isn’t that long and there is something very familiar about the whole area. I think that’s because I lived in North Yorkshire so was quite used to the hills, the twisty roads and bleakness that it has to offer. But like anywhere on a sunny day the whole of the Lake District is transformed into this paradise when nature overtakes consumerism and you find that there are more hills full of trees and houses than shops.


The Lakeside Hotel And Spa

My parents have been returning to the same hotel for about four years now and took us to The Lakeside hotel and spa which sits on Lake Windermere. It’s a gorgeous place with a gorgeous view in a gorgeous setting.




The Lakeside hotel is quite old-fashioned in its Decor and style. It does however have a beautiful conservatory spanning the length of half of the hotel looking right out onto the lake which is where we spent most of our time sitting and relaxing. It has a bistro style restaurant and fine dining restaurant which made it easy for us to choose what suited our needs as a family. It also has a beautiful spa and swimming pool which entertained the children on a morning and afternoon.




The Lake District is one of those places where you have to drive to get anywhere, but you could easily just head off and walk straight up into the hills as there really there are plenty of beautiful walks by the National Trust or Forestry Commission who provide a beautiful experience in a beautiful setting. 




















Walking In Ambleside

We walked each day in a new place and just enjoyed small adventures that the kids could manage. Ambleside is beautiful. We walked to the waterfalls and back again to the pub which was just enough walking for the children to do. We also visited the Beatrix Potter museum and spent time reliving childhood memories through the books of Peter Rabbit. We went off piste on a few walks which had wonderful conversations with the kids and lead to more time being spent with my parents just walking and chatting and enjoying each other’s company.

Photos From Ambleside:
  





























Being one of eight, it’s not very often that we holiday with just my parents, in fact it’s very rare indeed and even this holiday had my youngest 16-year-old brother in tow, but that is fine because Gabriel is Raph's best friend and he actually helps us out more than he realises in entertaining the children. One afternoon he took them off to the hotel gym and for a swim meaning that we could sit eating nuts, drinking beer and just enjoying adult time; he was like our very own nanny.
































The World Of Beatrix Potter

 Just next to our hotel there was also an aquarium which seems quite random when you think about it, but I think it’s just a little tourist spot that you can catch a little boat ride to or steam train and have a bit of entertainment. We stayed next to it so on the only afternoon when it really rained we had something to do that wasn’t far from the hotel. Etta had been desperate to get in there once she had realised that it was an aquarium and she was so pleased to spend an hour or so wondering around looking at the fish. It’s not very big but if you’re in the Windermere area it is probably worth a visit as something to do.

We Also went to the BEATRIX POTTER WORLD which I went to as a child. I have very little recollection but my parents claimed it hadn't changed much. 

Photos from Beatrix Potter World:














The lakes offer so much more than the small amount we did. We did what suited us, with small children especially you just want to spend your days doing an activity and then resting really. 

I could go back up here every holiday. Leaving was sad and I miss that the views and walks aren't on your doorstep. Heading outdoors in The Lakes is at the top of everyone's agenda and I can really see  why: it is a great area of our country to visit so pop it on your list. 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig